Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tofu Stir Fry

I have don't know that I'd ever even tasted tofu before I was married. My family's main courses, and my own thereafter, usually included a healthy portion of meat (usually beef or chicken). I have recently been exploring the idea of eating for your blood type, and I thought we were doing pretty good, since I knew I and at least 2 of the girls were Type O, which are good with eating a lot of meat. A few months ago, however, we discovered that my husband is Type A. And (of course!) Type A's don't digest meat very well, and do well with a low meat or even vegetarian diet. Lovely.

So, I have been endeavoring to expand my horizons and create a few meatless dishes, and as a result, I have been exploring the world of tofu. To my surprise, it is actually not that bad. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a satisfactory recipe that is both gluten-free and dairy-free but is NOT a stir-fry. So... I've been doing a lot of stir-fry.

I have tried a few stir-fry recipes, but I usually have to modify them to some degree to suit my tastes (usually by adding more veggies and often more sauce). Stir-fry is kind of free-form by nature, but I like to have an actual recipe on hand to help me plan and keep me from getting too confused... and that doesn't work so well when you're modifying everything. So since I seem to be so picky, I decided to try my hand at making up my own recipe last night. And I have to say, I liked it better than any of the other recipes I've tried so far. So here you are...


JESSICA'S TOFU STIR FRY

Ingredients:
1 lb. pack firm or extra-firm tofu, chopped into bite-size pieces*
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 head fresh broccoli (about 1.5 c.), chopped into bite-size pieces
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c. wine (red gives more flavor, but white works fine)
3 tbs. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ginger
3 tbs. olive and/or sesame oil (I used about half and half)
1/2 c. water
1 cube chicken bouillon or 1 tsp. granules
2 tbs. cornstarch
2 tbs. water

*Tofu works better if it is set out to dry on a stack of paper towels for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

Directions:
1. Heat 2 tbs. oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, till tender. Add broccoli and carrots. Fry for about 4-5 minutes, until beginning to get slightly tender. (Reduce heat slightly if veggies are crisping too quickly.) Add onions and fry for about 2-3 more minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini and fry 2-3 more minutes.

2. Mix together wine, soy sauce, and ginger. Add to veggies and simmer until veggies are all fairly tender (a few more minutes).

3. While veggies are frying, heat another 1/2 to 1 tbs. oil in a medium saucepan. Fry tofu for a few minutes, until lightly browned. Dissolve chicken bouillon or granules in 1/2 c. water. (Or use 1/2 c. chicken broth if you prefer, though you may need to add a bit more salt.) Add to tofu and simmer for about 3 minutes.

4. Add tofu mixture to veggie mixture. Combine 2 tsp. cornstarch with equal part water, and whisk with a fork till smooth. Add to tofu and veggies, stir well. Cook for 1-2 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken slightly. (Add more cornstarch and water mixture if necessary to achieve desired sauce consistency.) Serve over brown rice.

Makes about 6 servings.

If any of you try this, let me know how you liked it and if you come up with any improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! If you have a story or recipe you would like me to share, please email me at glutenfreecheapskate@gmail.com. If you would like to make a recipe request, please leave a comment or drop me an email, and I will do my best to oblige. :-)