Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Adapted from a recipe in Gluten-free Girl and the Chef.

APPLE CINNAMON MUFFINS

Ingredients:
1/2 c. starch* (I used half cornstarch and half potato starch)
1/3 c. rice flour** (I used half brown, half white)
1/2 c. other gluten-free flour(s)*** (I used half soy and half millet)
3/4 tsp. xanthan gum (could probably get away with 1/2 tsp.)
1/4 tsp. guar gum
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
2 tbs. oil
3/4 c. applesauce
3/4 - 1 c. peeled, diced crisp apple
1-2 tbs. water, milk, or extra applesauce (if necessary to moisten batter)

Directions:
1. Mix flours and gums. Sift. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a seperate bowl. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add, mixing until just combined, adding extra moistening ingredients if necessary. Stir in apples.
3. Fill muffin tins about 1/2 full. Cook at 325ยบ for about 30 minutes, or until muffin tops begin to turn golden brown.

* Original recipe calls for tapioca starch.
** Original recipe calls for sweet rice flour.
*** Original recipe calls for half almond flour and half teff flour.

Verdict: I did not like these quite as well as Pamela's, but they were still very good. A different combination of flours would likely yield a different taste. The second time around, I used part flavored applesauce (wild berry flavor), and they were even more tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! If you have a story or recipe you would like me to share, please email me at glutenfreecheapskate@gmail.com. If you would like to make a recipe request, please leave a comment or drop me an email, and I will do my best to oblige. :-)