Friday, April 22, 2011

Lentil Soup

I tend to make a lot of meals based around meat. Since my husband is trying to reduce his meat consumption, however, I have started to try to make more meatless meals. Fortunately, I already had this recipe in my back pocket. It is a snap to put together, and I always forget how delicious it is until I taste it again. Simple, but satisfying. It also makes a great freezer meal.

And just FYI, the portion in the bowl below may look a little small (at least compared to some of the other portions I've pictured), this was actually my second bowl of it last night... I forgot to take a picture of the first.


LENTIL SOUP

Ingredients:
1 cup lentils
6 cups water or broth*
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery (I often use a little extra)
1/2 c. chopped carrots (ditto)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 diced tomatoes or one (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
salt & pepper to taste*

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Let simmer, covered, for one hour or until lentils are soft.

*I normally use half water, half broth, and add 1 tsp. salt. Pepper is easier to do "to taste," I think, and less of a problem if you guess wrong. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! If you have a story or recipe you would like me to share, please email me at glutenfreecheapskate@gmail.com. If you would like to make a recipe request, please leave a comment or drop me an email, and I will do my best to oblige. :-)